Last Updated on: 18th January 2023, 08:31 am
Phoenix may be known as one of the country’s most popular retirement destinations, but it is also the home of many top-rated school districts. Students at Phoenix schools can enjoy having excellent gifted programs, support for children with special needs, and community involvement.
When looking for a primary school or high school in the area, parents can consider schools in Phoenix like BASIS Ahwatukee. This top-ranked school ranks 45th in the nation and has a high school graduation rate of 100%.
There are a number of factors you should look at when considering the most reputable school districts in Phoenix. Teacher pay, test performance, classroom size, and graduation rates are all good things to consider before you move to a new area. By picking a neighborhood with the best schools, you can help your child have a brighter future.
Table of Contents
Phoenix School Districts
If you want to save some time on your search for the best Phoenix school districts, we’ve compiled a list of some of the most popular districts in the Phoenix metro area.
CHANDLER UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT | CHANDLER, AZ
- Student-teacher ratio: As one of the best school districts in the Phoenix metro area, this district has a student-teacher ratio of 19:1.
- Test Scores: At least 60% of students are proficient in reading, and 61% of students are proficient in math.
- Top-ranked school districts in Phoenix: Chandler is ranked as the best school district in the entire Phoenix metro area.
- SAT: Students scored an average of 1270 on the SAT.
- ACT: On the ACT, high school students in Chandler scored an average of 26.
- Average teacher salary: $52,672
Today, there are 45,960 students who attend schools in the Chandler Unified School District. If you want a college-prep curriculum, the Arizona College Prep Erie Campus is the best high school to attend. For a public school option, you can check out the top-ranked Hamilton High School or Perry High School.
If you are looking for the best elementary schools in Phoenix, don’t forget to visit the Knox Gifted Academy, which has an excellent curriculum for gifted students. Chandler Traditional Academy in Independence, Goodman, and Freedom are all highly rated as well.
Based in Maricopa County, the city of Chandler has numerous parks and playgrounds. With its dense suburban environment, the area is home to the best schools, safe streets, and a vibrant community.
SCOTTSDALE UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT | SCOTTSDALE, AZ
- Student-teacher ratio: These are some of the best Phoenix schools with a student-teacher ratio of 18:1.
- Test Scores: 62% of students are proficient at reading, and 63% were proficient at math.
- SAT: Students scored an average of 1250 on the SAT.
- ACT: At these top high schools in Phoenix, students scored 28 on their ACTs.
- Average teacher salary: $50,094
Originally founded in 1896, the Scottsdale Unified School District is known for the quality of its education. In 2011, the middle schools began offering algebra to middle school students. Pueblo Elementary School, Cheyenne Traditional School, and Chaparral High School are some of the top Phoenix schools in the city.
The city of Scottsdale is a desert oasis known for its golf courses and spa resorts. Along with searching for the best school districts in Phoenix, you might be drawn to this area for hiking in the McDowell Sonoran Preserve and shopping in quaint downtown Scottsdale. It is also known for being a top spot for raising a family.
GILBERT PUBLIC SCHOOLS | GILBERT, AZ
- Student-teacher ratio: These excellent public schools in Phoenix have a student-teacher ratio of 18:1.
- Test Scores: 58% of students are proficient in math and reading.
- SAT: Because it offers some of the best Phoenix high schools, students get an average SAT score of 1210.
- ACT: Students report average ACT scores of 27.
- Average teacher salary: $54,575
A total of 33,000 students attend the A-rated public schools in Gilbert. This school system offers highly rated, reliable public schools in Phoenix, like Neely Traditional Academy, Pioneer Elementary School, South Valley Junior High School, and Gilbert Classical Academy High School. Charter schools in Phoenix such as the American Leadership Academy, Canyon Valley School, and Performance Academy at Mesquite Elementary can also be found here.
Whether you are looking for great grade schools or high schools in Phoenix, you can find a variety of options in the city of Gilbert. Once known as the Hay Shipping Capital of the World, modern Gilbert ranks highly for safety, family life, and livability.
PEORIA UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT | PEORIA, AZ
- Student-teacher ratio: In good Phoenix school districts like this one, you can find a student-teacher ratio of 20:1.
- Test Scores: Students at these schools get a 48% in reading and 51% in math.
- SAT: The average student scores 1190 on their SATs.
- ACT: Typical students score a 24 on their ACTs.
- Average teacher salary: $50,650
Ranked as one of the best Phoenix school districts, this district has a broad range of public and private institutions. You can find top public schools in Phoenix, such as Peoria Traditional School, Apache Elementary School, and Centennial High School. Families can also discover private schools in Phoenix, like Arrowhead Montessori, the ACES: Special Education School, and Bayer Private School.
The city of Peoria offers easy access to downtown Phoenix without the hustle and bustle of the big city. This suburban community was ranked as one of the 50 best places to live in the entire country.
TEMPE UNION HIGH SCHOOL DISTRICT | TEMPE, AZ
- Student-teacher ratio: It has a student-teacher ratio of 21:1.
- Test Scores: Students are 56% proficient in reading and 59% proficient in math.
- SAT: Students score 1210 on their SATs.
- ACT: Typical students score a 26 on their ACTs.
- Average teacher salary: $58,434
Known as one of the best school districts in the Phoenix metro area, Tempe Union High School District offers strong education programs. Some of the top high schools in Phoenix and Tempe are Desert Vista High School and Corona Del Sol High School. For top Phoenix elementary schools, local residents can check out the Tempe Elementary School District instead.
Tempe is home to popular comedy shows, concerts, and dance shows. The area also regularly hosts outdoor festivals and is home to the massive Tempe Marketplace shopping center.
DEER VALLEY UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT | DEER VALLEY, AZ
- Student-teacher ratio: It has a student-teacher ratio of 19:1.
- Test Scores: The average student is 60% proficient in reading and math.
- SAT: The typical student gets 1200 on their SATs.
- ACT: Average students score a 26 on their ACTs.
- Average teacher salary: $49,472
At these top-rated schools in Phoenix, students can choose between excellent programs. They can attend Legend Springs Elementary School, Sierra Verde Elementary School, and Mountain Ridge High School. Plus, the school has a graduation rate of 94.5%.
About Deer Valley
Among the safest neighborhoods in Phoenix, Deer Valley is a popular area for mountain biking and hiking. Home to 165,656 residents, this area hosts a horse racetrack, a waterpark, and the largest theme park in Arizona.
FOUNTAIN HILLS UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT | FOUNTAIN HILLS, AZ
- Student-teacher ratio: This district has a student-teacher ratio of 19:1.
- Test Scores: Students are 53% proficient in reading and 48% proficient in math.
- SAT: The average SAT score is 1230.
- ACT: Typical students score a 28 on their ACTs.
- Average teacher salary: $48,604
If you are looking for top Phoenix high schools, you can visit Fountain Hills High School and Fountain Hills Online. Meanwhile, the best elementary schools in Phoenix include McDowell Mountain Elementary School.
About Fountain Hills
Fountain Hills is a family-friendly suburb known for having a tall fountain, which was once the largest in the world.
Best Private Schools in Phoenix
If you are looking for the best private schools in Phoenix, there are a few options to check out.
- Gateway Academy
- Rancho Solano Preparatory School
- Valley Christian Schools
- Phoenix Country Day School
- Arizona Cultural Academy and College Prep
FAQs About Phoenix School Districts
What is the best high school in Phoenix, AZ?
- The top-rated high school in Phoenix is BASIS Chandler.
What is the best school district in Phoenix?
- Chandler Unified School District is ranked as the best school district in Phoenix.
Does Phoenix have good schools?
- Like many areas, Phoenix has a mixture of top-rated and low-ranked schools. It has some excellent schools, so do your research before you buy a home in a new neighborhood.
There are many top-ranked Phoenix school districts to choose from. Whether you want to live in Chandler or Deer Valley, there are excellent Phoenix public schools your student can attend for a great education.
While there are excellent school districts in Phoenix, it is important to look at individual schools in the area as well. Sometimes, different schools in the same district will offer varying levels of quality.